Cowboy caviar is a delicious blend of beans and fresh veggies all coated in delicious seasonings that make the perfect dip. This appetizer is easy to make and has a fresh and flavorful blend!
This is the perfect combination of a savory appetizer! If you are a dip fan and need an easy and delicious appetizer, try this 5-Minute Million Dollar Dip, this delicious Asiago Dip or my easy Loaded Creamy Ranch Dip (Poolside Dip).
Mouthwatering Cowboy Caviar
This easy cowboy caviar is so simple to make and comes together quickly. It is one of the best dips and so fresh from start to finish. It’s packed with fresh veggies and canned beans (which makes this so easy to mix up in onoy a few minutes). The flavors complement each other perfectly and once you add in the crunch of a delicious tortilla chip, you won’t be able to stop!
This appetizer is perfect for game day or any family gathering, It feeds a crowd but it’s so delicious, I recommend doubling it if you want everyone to have a chance to eat some. If you don’t like heat then make sure to deseed the jalapeños and leave out the membrane. Then you can enjoy the delicious taste but it won’t be too spicy.
Easy Cowboy Caviar Ingredients
The ingredients for this cowboy caviar are simple and fresh! Each ingredient adds texture, and flavor and all together compliments each other. Make this cowboy caviar as easy as possible, and start dipping!
- Black Beans and Black Eyed Peas: Cans are easiest and can be opened quickly and then poured in.
- Red Onion: Dice the onions into small cubes.
- Corn: This corn can be from a can, or it can be fresh from the cob. If you use canned corn, make sure that you drain and rinse the corn before adding to to the dip.
- Avocados: Slice and dice the avocados into small cubes. Add in the avocado very last so that it doesn’t brown.
- Roma Tomatoes: The fresh tomatoes add a pop of color as well as flavor.
- Cilantro: Perfect blend of heat and sweetness.
- Jalapeno: Spiciness added into the dip.
- Olive Oil: This is a base for all veggies to be mixed in.
- Lime: This adds a pop of citrus, which this dip needs.
- Cumin and Chili Powder: These seasonings add a hint of spice but not too much heat. Add more if you like it spicy!
- Salt and Pepper: These enhance all of the flavors in the cowboy caviar.
How to Make the Ultimate Cowboy Caviar:
This appetizer is the perfect dip and comes together quickly and easily. Prepare and cut up most ingredients, then place in a bowl together to be tossed. All of the ingredients mixed together make the perfect combination!
- Mix Together: In a medium-sized bowl combine black beans, black-eyed peas, onion, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, and chili powder. Toss until combined and coated. Salt and pepper to taste.
Mix and match your favorite ingredients to make this cowboyy caviar your own. Try it sweet and savory with a little more spice. So many options to choose from!
- Beans: Instead of canned beans, try using dried beans. These are healthier with a lower sodium content and just as easy as the canned beans.
- Vinegar: Add apple cider or red wine vinegar for a hint of sweetness with a little tart taste.
- Onions: Mix together white, yellow, or a few green onions to mix into the caviar.
- Spicy: To add a little heat to this appetizer, add in the seeds and membrane from the jalapeño. to take out some heat, use less jalapeño and onions.
Storing Fresh Texas Caviar
It is easy to store this fresh cowboy caviar. Avocado is the only ingredient that tends to turn brown and discolor. I would leave out the avocado until you are about to serve the dip.
- Make ahead: Mix together all the ingredients except for the avocado. Leave that out until you are ready to serve the appetizer. This will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Storing: If you are worried about storing for a long period of time, prepare each ingredient and set it aside in their own individual containers store them in the fridge. When ready to serve, place everything into a mixing bowl and gently stir it together, mixing and blending it well.
- Leftover Ideas: If you want to use the leftover cowboy caviar or something other than a dip, add it to an omelet, top any meat or toss it in a green salad for added flavoring.
In a medium sized bowl combine black beans, black eyed peas, onion, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, and chili powder. Toss until combined and coated. Salt and pepper to taste.
Updated on June 8, 2023
Calories84kcal (4%)Carbohydrates5g (2%)Protein1g (2%)Fat7g (11%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Sodium4mgPotassium140mg (4%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar1g (1%)Vitamin A204IU (4%)Vitamin C6mg (7%)Calcium4mgIron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.