For your next cheat day, look no further than these loaded fries with all the fixin’s: melty colby jack cheese, crispy bacon, tangy green onions, and a little kick of jalapenos! They’re so good, you might just forget you’re actually eating a vegetable (potatoes totally count, right?).
Really, there’s no wrong way to make fries. I love them smothered in melted cheese and bacon, but they’re also tasty covered with carne asada! You’ll have to try both!
Loaded Cheese Fries Recipe
Loaded fries are an absolute game-changer when it comes to satisfying your craving for something salty, crispy, and delicious. Imagine a heaping plate of freshly fried, crispy fries, topped with melted cheese, crispy bacon bits, and spicy jalapenos. The combination of flavors and textures is so irresistible. These loaded fries are the ultimate appetizer for any occasion, be it a party or a game day. They’re guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser, and it’s impossible to resist reaching for just one more fry.
If you want to take your loaded fries game to the next level, then making them from scratch is the way to go. Not only can you ensure that the fries are perfectly cooked and crispy, but you can also customize the toppings to suit your taste buds. Maybe you want to add some tangy salsa, creamy guacamole, or some extra heat with a drizzle of hot sauce or sriracha mayo. The possibilities are endless!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what I used to make loaded fries! The great thing about making these at home is that you can customize all of the toppings to your liking. See my tips section below for more topping ideas!
- French Fries: Crispy and golden French fries are what make loaded cheese fries so irresistible. Whether you use store-bought frozen fries or whip up your own batch at home, these crispy taters are the perfect vehicle for all of the other toppings.
- Colby Jack Cheese: Shredded Colby Jack cheese is the perfect topping for loaded cheese fries. It melts beautifully and adds creamy, cheesy goodness to every bite.
- Green Onions: Sliced green onions add a pop of color and a subtle onion flavor to the mix. Plus, they make the dish look fancy, even though it’s just a pile of fries.
- Bacon: Cooked until crispy and crumbled into little bits, bacon takes these loaded fries to the next level. It’s salty, smoky, and adds a satisfying crunch to every bite. Use precooked bacon for easy prep!
- Jalapeños: Sliced jalapenos add a spicy kick to the dish. They’re not for the faint of heart, but for those who love a little heat, they’re the perfect addition.
- Famous Fry Sauce: Optional for dipping, famous fry sauce is a tangy and creamy sauce that’s the perfect complement to loaded fries. It makes everything taste better. Trust me, you’ll want to dunk every fry in it.
How to Make the Best Loaded Fries
Who says you need to be a master chef to impress your friends with delicious food? Loaded fries are the ultimate game day or party food, and the best part is, they’re beyond easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and a sprinkle of creativity, you’ll have a plate of crispy fries topped with gooey cheese, crispy bacon, and spicy jalapenos that will have everyone drooling. Trust me, once you serve up a plate of these bad boys, you’ll be the MVP of the gathering.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or to the temperature noted on the back of the fry package.
- Bake Fries: Add the fries to a rimmed baking sheet and then cook according to package instructions or until extra crisp, stirring after 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can also cook the fries in the air fryer and transfer the cooked fries to a baking sheet after they are cooked and crisp.
- Broil: Once the fries are crisp, remove them from the oven. Then change the temperature on the oven to the broil option to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add Bacon and Cheese: Top the fries with shredded cheese and cooked crumbled bacon. Then place the fries back into the oven for 1-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Add Toppings and Serve: Top with green onions, sliced jalapenos, and serve with my famous fry sauce. Enjoy!
Don’t settle for boring fries when you can easily take them to the next level with a little customization! Whether you’re feeling spicy or craving something cheesy, loaded fries are the perfect canvas for all of your favorite toppings, so get creative and make them your own.
- French Fries: Any kind of fries will work! Waffle fries, sweet potato fries, steak fries…the choice is yours!
- Cheese: I love freshly shredded cheese, but my homemade cheese sauce would also be amazing. Switch up the cheese and use any variation you would like.
- Toppings: There are endless possibilities for toppings. Chopped tomatoes, avocados, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, olives, beans, and onions are all great options!
- Dips or Sauces: I have so many delicious sauces and dips that would be delicious with these fries. Try homemade ranch, blue cheese dip, copycat Cane’s sauce or sriracha mayo!
- Add Protein or Meat: Try adding beef, chicken, chili, or beans.
How Long Do Loaded Fries Last?
Once you load your fries up with all the cheesy, bacon-y goodness, they are best enjoyed immediately for maximum deliciousness. While you can store leftovers in the fridge for a few days, the fries will lose their crispiness and the toppings won’t be as fresh. So, don’t wait too long to devour this tasty snack and savor every crispy bite while they last!
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or to the temperature noted on the back of the package.
Add the fries to a rimmed baking sheet and cook according to package instructions or until extra crisp, stirring after 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook the fries in the air fryer and transfer the cooked fries to a baking sheet after they are cooked and crisp.
Once the fries are crisp, remove them from the oven. Change the temperature on the oven to the broil option to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Top the fries with shredded cheese and cooked crumbled bacon. Place the fries back into the oven for 1-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Top with green onions, and sliced jalapenos, and serve with my famous fry sauce. Enjoy!
Serving1cupCalories614kcal (31%)Carbohydrates38g (13%)Protein19g (38%)Fat44g (68%)Saturated Fat19g (95%)Polyunsaturated Fat5gMonounsaturated Fat17gCholesterol67mg (22%)Sodium1105mg (46%)Potassium588mg (17%)Fiber5g (20%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A689IU (14%)Vitamin C7mg (8%)Calcium465mg (47%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.