The Pima Community College softball team (21-23, 21-23 in ACCAC) closed out the regular season on Saturday against Glendale Community College (17-31, 15-29) at the West Campus Aztec Softball Field.
Freshman Mia Casadei (Tanque Verde HS) finished the day 5 for 6 with three RBIs, three runs scored and three doubles. Freshmen Stephanie Tapia (Cibola HS) and Alejandra Castro continued to go yard and freshman Lia Dominguez (Cienega HS) picked up two wins on the mound.
Game 1: Pima CC Aztecs 14, Glendale CC Gauchos 6 (5 innings): Sophomore Desiree Martinez (Canyon del Oro HS) hit a walk-off RBI single to score Casadei to seal the run-rule victory.
- The Aztecs and the Gauchos traded runs in the first two innings but the Aztecs took the lead for good after putting up seven runs in the 2nd inning. Freshman Analisa Gomez (University HS) hit an RBI double to plate pinch runner Alize Rodriguez (Bourgade Catholic HS). Casadei put the Aztecs ahead with a 2-run RBI double scoring freshmen Shannon Vivoda and Tapia to make it 7-6. Martinez followed with a 2-run RBI double of her own bringing in Castro and Casadei. Sophomore Kayla Gonzales (Salpointe Catholic HS) capped off the inning with an RBI double to score Martinez as Pima led 10-6.
- Tapia hit her 17th home run of the season in the 1st inning as she drove a 2-0 pitch to center field bringing around freshman Elise Muñoz (Salpointe Catholic HS) and Gomez.
- Sophomore Kelli Samorano (Tucson Magnet HS) and Casadei had RBI hits in the 5th inning before Martinez ended it with her walk-off.
- The Aztecs hit seven doubles in the game. Tapia finished 2 for 3 with three RBIs and two runs scored while Casadei was a perfect 4 for 4 with three RBIs and two runs. Martinez was 2 for 3 with three RBIs and a run and Gonzales went 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run. Gomez finished 2 for 4 with an RBI and Samorano was 1 for 4 with an RBI.
- Dominguez picked up the win after she pitched all five innings, giving up six runs (four earned) on eight hits with two strikeouts and three walks.
GCC 4 2 0 0 0 6 8 4
PCC 3 7 0 1 3 14 13 2
W – Dominguez (2-4). 2B – Casadei 2, Gomez, Gonzales, Martinez, Samorano, Tapia. HR – Tapia. SB – Casadei, Vivoda.
Game 2: Pima CC Aztecs 9, Glendale CC Gauchos 1 (5 innings): Gomez hit a ball to center field and reached on an error for the walk-off as Casadei scored to earn the second run-rule win of the day.
- The Aztecs scored five runs in the 2nd inning. Castro hit her seventh home run of the season; her fourth this week, on a solo shot with one out to put the Aztecs on the board. Muñoz hit an RBI double as Casadei, Gonzales, Muñoz and Gomez all scored runs in the inning.
- Muñoz scored a run in the 4th inning and the Aztecs closed it out in the 5th with three runs. Samorano, Castro and Casadei scored runs in the inning.
- Muñoz finished the game 3 for 4 with two RBIs and two runs scored. Vivoda went a flawless 3 for 3 and fell a home run short of hitting for the cycle. Castro was 3 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored. Casadei closed it out going 1 for 2 with a run.
- Dominguez got the win after pitching three shutout innings giving up no hits with two strikeouts.
GCC 0 0 0 1 0 1 2 2
PCC 0 5 0 1 3 9 12 0
W – Dominguez (3-4). 2B – Muñoz, Gomez, Vivoda, Casadei. 3B – Vivoda. HR – Castro. SB – Casadei, Vivoda
After the game, the Aztecs honored sophomores Desiree Martinez (Canyon del Oro HS), Kayla Gonzales (Salpointe Catholic HS), Kelli Samorano (Tucson Magnet HS) and Faith Orton (Amphitheater HS).
The Aztecs will be the No. 4 seed in the NJCAA Region I, Division I Tournament on Friday and Saturday. All games will be at No. 1 seeded Yavapai College in Prescott and will be a double elimination tournament.